Here Comes The Gramdoot

It bothers me immensely to watch images broadcast in western media, of Indians living in abject poverty. I thought it excessive that stories about India centered on rampant corruption, mismanagement of projects and finances and the deprivation that stems from it; discrediting and ridiculing us as an emerging super power.

But truth be told, the reportage is neither unfair nor is it embellished to paint a picture any bleaker than reality. We’ve earned the bad press; we deserve to squirm as the world asks us tough questions as a nation.

The rural poor remain marginalized and denied of their basic rights, even as the government releases an abundance of funds and schemes to provide access to health, education, nutrition and livelihood. The missing mid-day meals, the ration shops that don’t provide for the poorest of the poor, the ill equipped, under staffed health centers are all a cruel joke at the nation’s expense.

In 2004, in Nagpur, Rajesh Malviya had a small idea with a big heart, to address this ongoing battle of rights and robbers. He embarked on the mammoth task of finding volunteers, or Gramdoots in a hundred villages who would act as the conduit of information flow between the local authorities, the community and supporting NGOs.

I had the privilege of being invited to the first Rashtriya Gramdoot Parishad in New Delhi recently. The gathering swelled with more than one thousand village volunteers from Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Chhatisgarh.

Malviya says, “Chote se kharche se gram vikas ka kaam ho sakta hai… People stepped up to the challenge to help their communities without seeking any remuneration or rewards. They were content with merely the opportunity to improve the lives of their community. We still require some money for training, advocacy and for spreading the Gramdoot movement to other parts of India.”

Rajesh Malviya has created the missing opportunity for people to get organized and take action; he has given them the tools to hack away at system. The fact that funds (and accountability) get attenuated in the slow crawl to the rightful beneficiaries is no secret. The situation seemed abysmal as one was hard pressed to find official measures that check the pilfering or intend to revise the flawed methodology. This set the stage for a grassroots intervention that will engage and empower rural communities lead by their Gramdoot.

At the Parishad, I could see scores of bare legs with worn out sandals, braving the Delhi winter. Eagerly exchanging details of success and struggle with their brethren from different states; they had all come to have their voices heard and to be reassured that their lives and stories mattered. For most, this was the first visit to their country’s capital.

Malviya believes that “sustainable rural development comes from the stakeholders taking ownership. Our Gramdoots will always remain politically autonomous; they are nominated via consensus in the village and are working on issues such as the proper implementation of NREGS, Forest Rights act and other welfare programmes. They are creating awareness in the villages on gender justice, right to education and all other government policies that affect their communities.”

A painfully shy lady who was sitting next to me was summoned to the stage to share her experiences as a Gramdoot. Standing on her toes, straining to reach the microphone, Pushpa Gohe sent a strong message. “Hum Gram Swarajya ka arth jante hai… We now know the meaning of village self governance. We know our rights and we will fight for them together. Me and my sisters in the village are no longer afraid. Hum jagruk ho gaye hai.”

For Rajesh Malviya the next milestone is to ready an army of ten thousand strong Gramdoots in the country. Though I think he might exceed his own expectations.

‘Start me with ten, who are stout-hearted men
And I’ll soon give you ten thousand more.’

(Works just as well with ten Stout Hearted Women!)

Tags: , , , ,

23 Responses to “Here Comes The Gramdoot”

1. kiran says:

Kudos to “guruji” as Rajesh Malviya is fondly called. May his tribe increase.

2. debsankar ganguli says:

hey, didnt see your HT column this weekend?

3. Francois says:

100% true. “sustainable rural development comes from the stakeholders taking ownership”

4. megha sen says:

I’ve never heard about this person, sounds like a very inspired man. glad there are more and more people like him around. i found more info on empowerpoor.org

best of luck
    MS

5. Nishat Ekbeer says:

so the gramdoots are like village watch dogs? i think its high time that civics lessons leave the classrooms and enter real world. it’s much needed in the north east of India and i hope thousands of GD’s enroll from here

6. Gopal Dutt says:

you must surely go to bhopal to meet sathyu sarangi, he has been fighting for the union carbide victims since 1984. a true selfless hero

7. Sankalp Modhak says:

Hum Malviya ji ko guruji bolte hai, inhone humare liye bohot kaam kiya hai

8. Hello,Your site is very interesting site. I will come back to visit again and I Tweet this page to a friend of mine is already.

9. danny says:

Web site, you are very interesting to read. Very interesting and engaging.

10. Channing says:

you must surely go to bhopal to meet sathyu sarangi,i think its high time that civics lessons leave the classrooms and enter real world.

11. Hanova Zeze says:

Awesome ! I like this !

12. Armma says:

13. jb-gimber says:

Hello,Your site is very interesting site. Iwill come back to visit again and I Tweet this page to a friend of mine is already.

14. mon says:

I never sounds like a very inspired one. Glad habitation more like him around. Find more information about me so thankful to have great knowledge.

15. John Sannay says:

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I’ll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I’m quite certain I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

16. Cedric says:

Hello Nice to meet you everyone .

17. I have never heard about this sounds like a inspired lot. Glad to have more people like him around is. I find more information about I am so thankful to know that great.So I do.

18. vettivong says:

I’ve never heard about this person, sounds like a very inspired man.

19. trandtoday says:

Kudos to “guruji” as Rajesh Malviya is fondly called. May his tribe increase.

20. musichiso says:

I never sounds like a very inspired one. Glad habitation more like him around.

21. ohodoodee says:

have never heard about this sounds like a inspired lot.
    I will learn many new stuff right here

22. sankalpa says:

wonderful information,
    I had come to know about your blog from my friend nandu ,
    hyderabad,i have read atleast 7 posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your website gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i’m already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you!
    Thanks a ton once again,
    Regards,
    sankalpa-projects

23. vettivong says:

I have never heard about this sounds like a inspired lot.